Fenil and Bollywood

Posts Tagged ‘Juhu

At a school function, Salman Khan had kids screaming for more while scandalised authorities were wishing they had ordered for ear plugs

By Subhash K Jha (MUMBAI MIRROR; January 05, 2010)


When actors are asked to grace an event, particularly a school function, you expect them to prove to be good role models for the kids, encouraging them to study hard and eat right. However, if the actor happens to be Salman Khan, you can expect the unthinkable.

Salman, who had been invited to  judge for an event at Jamnabai Narsee school, Juhu, shared some little known anecdotes about his own school days with the kids present, all between 11-19.

“Salman had said he would come on time (4pm) and stay the whole evening. The school authorities were expecting him to make a brief appearance, but he surprised everyone by taking time off to be there throughout,” says a source.

When called on stage to say a few words, his speech took everybody by surprise. “When Salman was asked to share memories of his school days, the audience braced themselves for a dose of nostalgia. However, he recalled how he would bunk classes constantly and was rusticated from four schools. He also confessed that he was the school bully – he even asked the resident bully of the school to raise his hand. One hand did go up.” By this time, the students were almost falling off their seats while the teachers didn’t know where to look.

It didn’t end there. When he was asked by the children to dance on stage with them, he quipped, “I don’t dance without being paid.” Even before the stunned kids and teachers could recover from that statement, he had already proceeded to dance to one of his own songs on stage.

Salman at the event


Meanwhile…

Salman’s love for kids is unbelievable. At the event, Salman went on stage twice and enjoyed himself with the kids. He danced with the kids and even promoted his forthcoming film Veer saying, ‘there is a veer in all of you’ which has got you to come on the stage and perform like this’. After the dance, he gave out music CDs of the film to the kids. While leaving the venue, some of the kids followed him. Unknowingly, his guard pushed one of them. Despite the crowd, Salman noticed this. When he realised that the kid was hurt, he lost his temper at his guard. He made his guard apologise to the kid. He also hugged the kid and gave him the music CD of Veer with his autograph on it. The child’s day was definitely made as he left with a big smile on his face and memories to last a lifetime.

–Kunal M Shah

Advertisements
Kangna Ranaut would like her family to shift in with her but her current home is too small

By Vickey Lalwani (MUMBAI MIRROR; January 04, 2010)


If all goes well, Kangna Ranaut will shift from Latasoni building at Pali Naka, Bandra in 2010.Kangna is hunting for a new house, which would be bigger than her current one. Sources reveal that for the last few days, the actress has been searching for a flat between Bandra-Juhu. She would prefer a big duplex.

Explaining why Kangna wants to shift from her Pali Naka flat, our source says, “Kangna’s parents, who presently reside in Manali, will shift with her once she gets her new house. However, her father may then shuttle for his business commitments.” Kangna’s brother Rishu who is studying engineering in Delhi now, may also move in with her. Another reason why Kangna wants to shift is that she wants more privacy. “She would prefer her new property to be in a quieter locality than her current one,” adds our source. She currently lives in a three-bedroom apartment.

We checked with Kangna but she was rather hesitant to talk about her plans. However, she said, “It’s too early to talk about it. But yes, once I get my new house, my parents would definitely come and stay with me.”

Ever since she came to Mumbai, Kangna has spent most of her time staying without her family. Of late though, her elder sister Rangoli has been staying with her.

By Virat A Singh and Vickey Lalwani (MUMBAI MIRROR; December 24, 2009)


Hrithik Roshan gets this water. As do hundreds of residents in one of the city’s most posh suburbs. Every day, for over a month now, residents of Juhu’s 12th and 13th Road have been waking up to severely contaminated water flowing from their taps.

Water sample collected from Hrithik’s Juhu 12th Road home at 3 pm on Wednesday

Supplied by BMC as drinking water, it is the colour of coal tar, with visible suspended particles, and smells of faeces. And it flows from taps meant for supplying clean, potable water.

This has forced Roshan’s wife Sussanne, a mother of two, to use the family’s good offices to bring the BMC to book. “It is a very bad situation. We are getting drinking water which is mixed with sewage water,” she told Mumbai Mirror.

The Roshans who live at Palazzio building on Juhu 12th Road sent Ashok Vasodia, their secretary to BMC K/West Ward office on Wednesday afternoon to lodge a complaint. Their concerns are shared by the other residents who live under the threat of an epidemic breakout.

Vigilant resident Kishore Gupta remarked, “We have a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter at our house and the reading of the BMC water ranges from 135 to 200, while a packaged drinking water has a TDS of around 70. BMC water should normally have around 75. This shows the extent of contamination!”

“We are receiving dark, brackish water, which smells of faeces and  can be used only to flush toilets. We are forced to use packaged water,” complained Sunila Lalwani, a resident of Jasmet on 12th Road, opposite Roshan’s Palazzio. She also added that her 11-year-old son Sachin who must have somehow ingested this contaminated water, had to miss his second semester examination after falling ill.

Rekha Teckani, who runs a playgroup for children in the neighbourhood, says, “If we take a bath with this water we start stinking. The question of using this water for drinking and cooking does not even arise!” Teckani buys packaged drinking water for her playgroup kids.

According to Dr Anant Narde, resident of Girnar building on 13th Road, the problem of contaminated water was aggravated after BMC contractors, appointed for re-laying 13th Road, damaged the existing water pipelines in September this year. “We have been receiving this contaminated water for over a month now and live in constant fear of our children taking ill. Officials from the BMC’s Hydraulic Engineering department assured us they will provide us free potable water. But we will have to bring tankers and it is not possible for us to go scouting for tankers in the morning. The neighbourhood has no option but to call for private water tankers.”

Some residents have even threatened that if the problem is not solved in a couple of days they will fill bottles with the contaminated water and present it to councillor Adolf D’Souza and all BMC officials from the K/West Ward as a Christmas gift.

Local councillor Adolf D’Souza blamed the contractors who damaged the pipelines while working on the road. “After receiving complaints from the residents we inspected the site along with officials of the Hydraulic Engineering department and discovered that the existing pipeline has been damaged at various places, allowing sewage water to seep through the water pipeline throughout the stretch. We have already laid new water pipeline on 13th Road and it was to be connected by March next year. But given the gravity of the situation I have asked officials to connect these new pipes to the main water line near Juhu Church and supply clean water from that pipeline.”

A senior official from Hydraulic department voiced, “We are tired of the sewerage department as their contractors have been merrily damaging water pipelines all around Juhu and neighbouring areas and we have to face the ire of locals. We are repairing the lines and laying down a new pipeline to solve the water woes completely but this will take around a week’s time.”

Juhu residents have been facing the problem of contaminated water for nearly 10 years. And laying down new pipelines may not be the answer. As Sunila Lalwani pointed out, “A new pipe line compounded the problem as it cut down the water flow drastically. We were receiving only one hour of water supply everyday. So laying down a new line without rectifying the water pressure problem is foolish.”

A man insisted that Govinda should marry him. When Govinda refused, he started stripping, forcing the actor to run away from the spot

By Vickey Lalwani (MUMBAI MIRROR; November 27, 2009)


A few days ago, Govinda got quite a scare when man dressed up as a woman entered Jal Darshan building in Juhu, where Govinda resides, and demanded to meet the actor.

Although the building’s security guards did not allow the man inside the premises and tried to talk to him, he refused to relent. An eyewitness says, “The man said that he wanted to meet Govinda at any cost. He refused to budge.”

When all efforts made by the security guards failed, they were left with no choice but to inform the star about the visitor. On getting to know about the hullabaloo created by the man, the actor agreed to meet him thinking that he might be one of his ardent fans.

 

Govinda

The actor was in for a shock when the man directly told him: “I am a man but I want to marry you. If need be, I am even ready to undergo a sex change operation, but please let’s start a life together.”

At first, Govinda was shocked by the revelation. Thereafter, he tried to explain to him that this was simply not possible. However, the man was in no mood to listen. When he realised that his sweet-talk was failing to do the needful, he started removing the padding he had worn, right in front of Govinda’s eyes, embarrassing him to no end.

That’s when the security guards took stock of the situation and had no choice but to manhandle the visitor. Meanwhile, Govinda, fearing that the man may get even more obscene, ran to his car and drove off.

Confirming the incident, Govinda says, “Haan, yeh sab hua tha. Woh aadmi mujhse shaadi karna chahta tha. He told me that his name was Sameera, but obviously, that was a false name. I told him yeh nahin ho sakta. Usne bahut masti aur battameezi ki. Ab sab kucch to main bayaan nahin kar sakta, na?”

FAMILY COMES FIRST: Katrina Kaif.

SUBHASH K JHA Times News Network (BOMBAY TIMES; November 18, 2009)

It must have taken some heart to do this… but for Katrina Kaif, it appears, family comes first over the big bucks her fast-rising status in Bollywood has to offer. The story goes that the actress, whose latest film Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani has got her closer to Kareena Kapoor in the box office stakes, turned down a lucrative offer of Rs 2.5 crore by a five-star hotel in Juhu to be its New Year’s eve star. This, by far, is the biggest sum ever offered to any Bollywood personality for a New Year’s eve appearance. But Katrina could not be bothered. Apparently, she said she was unavailable because she intends to spend the Christmas and New Year vacation in London with her family. No doubt, the actress must have taken the difficult decision after much deliberation and weighing the pros and cons of the situation. Katrina is remaining tightlipped because she doesn’t want the hotel to suffer when it approaches another actress to do the same job, but a close friend of the actress said she was sorely tempted to take up the offer at one stage.

When asked about her plans for December 31, Katrina said guardedly, “I’m heading to London to bring in Christmas and New Year with my mother, sisters and brothers. It’s an annual family ritual. And I wouldn’t like to break it for any amount of money in the world.”

By Bollywood Hungama News Network, November 14, 2009 – 16:59 IST


Closer on the heels of the Wake Up Sid – MNS row over the ‘Bombay-Mumbai’ do, comes yet another controversy. This time, it’s over the backless posters of Kareena Kapoor, from the forthcoming flick Kurbaan, which stars her beau Saif Ali Khan. This issue paved the way to more than 100 Shiv Sainiks as they came out on the streets and tore apart the posters of the said film, in the areas of Juhu, Marol and other parts of Andheri.

Speaking to Bollywood Hungama, Sena activist Jitendra Janawale from Juhu said that “The scene in question is totally against Maharashtra’s Hindu culture. No sooner the posters were put up all over the city, we got lots of complaints from people, esp. from the concerned parents of school children, stating that the said posters were in bad taste. We have anyways issued a strong warning to the filmmakers through the media. We want all the backless posters that have been put all over the city to be removed as soon as possible. Failing which, we shall protest against the film when it releases.”

Kurbaan stars Saif Ali Khan, Kareena Kapoor and Vivek Oberoi and is directed by debutant director Rensil D’Silva. The film releases next week.

BOLLYWOOD HUNGAMA.COM

KurbaanBharati Dubey & Ambarish Mishra | TNN (THE TIMES OF INDIA; November 15, 2009)


Mumbai: Another Karan Johar release is facing the music, this time from the Shiv Sena. The party has objected to the bare-backed posters of Kareena Kapoor from the film, Kurbaan.


More than 100 Shiv Sainiks took to the streets and tore down posters of the film in Juhu, Marol and other parts of Andheri on Friday. A month ago, the MNS had objected to the use of the Mumbai’s old name, Bombay, in Johar’s Wake Up Sid; he had to bend over backwards to the chauvinists and the film had to be screened with a disclaimer.


Friday’s protests were led by Sena activists Jitendra Janawale in Juhu and Subhash Kanta Sawant in Marol. Sawant said: “We objected to the posters as they showed the actress semi-nude and we found to be in very bad taste. It violates our Indian culture.’’ The Sainiks also put a sari around Kareena in some of the posters.


A group of Sainiks even headed for Kareena’s residence and wanted to present a sari to her. But an officer said: “We deployed our people near the actress’s house but nothing untoward happened.’’ Kareena was said to have gone out for a shoot.


Additional commissioner of police (West) Amitabh Gupta said the Khar police station had been asked to register a case against the offenders.


An industry insider said political parties were picking on soft targets to get some mileage and the MNS’s impressive showing in the recent Assembly polls was “forcing’’ the Sena to look for rabblerousing issues. “The film industry has always been a soft target as the government does not take action against political parties,’’ the insider said.


“The government took a proactive decision in only one case, providing Anurag Kashyap with security; but that was because they knew that the director would never apologise to the MNS,’’ another source said. Kashyap, reacting to a question from a news channel about DevD being vulgar, said Raj Thackeray’s words were much more vulgar than his films.


Advertisements